Sunday, September 12, 2010

M. Outlining

As a writer I have found that I am a structured outliner. Normally I need the roman numerals to guide my way as I travel from one chapter to another. I don't always stay on the outline and sometimes I have an inspirational idea that adds to the story in the middle of writing a chapter but generally speaking, if the outline isn't set then I get confused.

Some are able to sit down and use the steel trap that is attached to their necks and pour out word for word and line for line until the story has been told. I, however, am not one of those people.

My wife and I find that our best outlining time is during long car rides that involve us sitting in a car with nothing else to do. I am not sure what sparks the creative fire but something about sitting in an SUV turns the gears to our brains.

What type of writer are you? Do you outline or do you just fly by the seat of your pants?

No comments:

Post a Comment